Substance Use Disorder Treatment for Adults (formerly: Adult Substance Abuse Treatment) Open to AIC Intervention Specialists only
This course will train participants to implement evidence-based assessment and treatment referral strategies for substance use disorders for adults with good adherence and competence. The goal of this training is to improve participantsí abilities to manage these issues in such a ways as to reduce recidivism.
Specifically, the following areas/skills will be described with case-based examples focused on opioid use, modeled and practiced during role- and real-plays, followed by feedback, reinforcement, and coaching:
1) Working knowledge of the DSM-5 Substance Use Disorder criteria,
2) Other assessment tools,
3) ASAM levels of care,
4) Evidence-based medications for addiction,
5) Evidence-based psychotherapies for addiction,
6) How to find evidence-based treatment for clients,
7) How to support good treatment outcomes, especially around how to respond to lapses vs. relapses, and
8) Engaging clients in mutual-support groups, such as AA, SMART Recovery and Rational Recovery.